I’ve done this before, going back to work after having a baby. You’d think I’d know what it was like, what to expect, and to have it all under control. To be cool.
But, honestly, even thinking about it is filling me with a sick sense of dread. I don’t know what I’ll have to work on when I go back. There are new people in the office, again, as there were after I returned following my maternity leave with James. I’ve never left Noah with anyone else apart from once with his Nana (yes, he lived, and slept and ate, but, you know)
And I haven’t been in contact with many people while I’ve been off because I work 25 miles away from my house, which doesn’t exactly make it easy to just pop in to see how people are doing.
So I’ve decided to focus on the positives:
- I will be able to sit and drink a cup of tea I’ve made, while it’s still hot.
- I will be able to go to the toilet without either a baby sitting on my knee, holding on to my trousers, or pushing all the shampoo bottles into the bath.
- I will be able to concentrate on something without having to check that other people in the room are safe before I start, during my task, and after.
- I won’t need to step in when one colleague takes something from another without asking when the first hasn’t finished with it yet
- The view from my office window isn’t too bad
Let’s not even talk about the downside.
Have I missed any other positive things about going back to work after maternity? Did you enjoy it?